Remapping Polo 6n

Forums Tuning forum Remapping Polo 6n

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NorthamptonCustoms
    Participant

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/v11o/public_html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4773

hi,

in your youtube video where you remapped the polo , that looked to be a 6n2, I’m shortly due to get my hands on a 6n (1.4 petrol) and wondered if you happened to know whether vagsuite etc would work with that? I’ve got all the required gizmos to connect to the odb, vag-com, mpps clone etc and the required software, just wondering if the old 6n was already remappable with software or whether it’s still of the eprom-burning era.

Keep the videos coming btw – very informative and quite entertaining too 🙂

cheers 🙂

(from another underqualified, sometime inebriated, vehicle tinkeress)

David McLuckie
    Keymaster

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/v11o/public_html/wp/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4773

I know they changed a lot of bits when they went from the 6n to the 6n2, but not sure if the ECU was included in their upgrade path.

If you’ve already got all the tools needed you could let us know if the 6n 1.4 petrol is remappable. I’m curious to see what you’ve got planned for it.

NorthamptonCustoms
    Participant

I get the polo at the end of the month so will plug in then let you know how I get on. It’s going to be my daily for a while so I need to not mess with it for the moment as primarily it needs to be drivable, but mid-term I was thinking decompression plate, rising rate fuel regulator and a turbo (and remap ideally…hence the original question since the remap part will kinda govern the rest).

I was gonna sell my audi (b6 quattro tdi v6 2.5 mapped) but they seem to be worth so little and I’ve sunk so much into it I decided to keep it and build it as a(nother) project instead. Funnily enough I had very similar intentions to what you guys did with the red one and the videos of that kinda inspired me to get stuck in on it 🙂

David McLuckie
    Keymaster

I had a browse of Google and couldn’t find any remaps for any pre-2001 Polos. I had the same problem on my X reg Audi A4 TQS. It needed the ECU removing and posting away to a nice man who soldered a new remapped chip onto it.

Tuning the diesel will be worth it. So much can be gained with little work.

NorthamptonCustoms
    Participant

hmm that’s kinda what i suspected re the polo..i may have to see what i can do by other means then (eg fooling the sensors & adjusting fuel pressure)..or dig out the eprom burner, tho tbh the audi seems like an easier win.

will let you know how i get on, cheers for the help 🙂

NorthamptonCustoms
    Participant

so, bit of an update re the polo. It’s a 96 1.4 8v AEX code, and i tested with both my bluetooth obd dongles (ELM327 stylee) which I have on the audi and feed realtime info to the torque app on my phone…there was no love from the polo on that front and from the bit of googling I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t support the protocol used by the system.

Plugging in a VAG-COM clone adapter though you can still read the sensors and whatnot.

I stumbled across a few listings for standard ECUs for that car and they all mentioned needing to be programmed before use..which then got me thinking perhaps the MPPS might work even if the ELM327 doesn’t. If I can pull maps off the ecu with the MPPS then I’d be a very happy bunny but somehow doubt it’s possible…though then why would the standard ecus need programming before use? Perhaps just for immobiliser? surely not.

That’s not something I’ve tested yet but will post back once I’ve had a go.

David McLuckie
    Keymaster

From my brief googling I think the programming is for the immobiliser. Your key has a transponder and if you swap out the ecu they won’t match any more.

I see a few eBay listings people selling the ecu and the transponder chip so you don’t need reprogramming.

I’ve a little experience with remaps on Smart cars and with them the ecu is coded to the keys, so you need to programme a key when you swap an ecu.

Looking forward to your findings.

NorthamptonCustoms
    Participant

that makes sense re the transponder. seems like the 6n is in the annoying crossover period of too late to be manually adjustable but too early to be computer hackable. I suspect it might be of the eprom-burning variety which is tedious at best.

I’ll let you know once i’ve tried with mpps but am not holding out much hope.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.